Day 19 - Sempuc Champey and las Grutas de Lanquin
For our second day in the Coban area, Neto and Sergio rented a 4x4 pickup, and we drove to Lanquin, where we visited Sempuc Champey and the Grutas de Lanquin. On the way down, we picked up a group of kids "pidiendo jalon" and dropped them off at their respective houses along the way. Cute kids.

Sempuc Champey means where the river goes under ground, which is what is happening here:

What makes Sempuc Champey special is that there is a limestone bridge, covered in small, terraced, turquoise pools of water, that goes over where the river goes underground. The river comes out at the lower end of the pools. It is so amazingly beautiful.







Sempuc Champey means where the river goes under ground, which is what is happening here:
What makes Sempuc Champey special is that there is a limestone bridge, covered in small, terraced, turquoise pools of water, that goes over where the river goes underground. The river comes out at the lower end of the pools. It is so amazingly beautiful.
Look at the color of the water! Then look at my face - I was so sick and feverish! I didn't even swim :(.
After our time at Sempuc Champey, we went to visit the Grutas de Lanquin, a much larger cave system than at Rey Marcos. You can walk in normally, and the caverns are lit by hanging bulbs. It was beautiful, and for some reason, it made me sweat as if I were in a sauna. It pulled the fever right out of me!
After our time at Sempuc Champey, we went to visit the Grutas de Lanquin, a much larger cave system than at Rey Marcos. You can walk in normally, and the caverns are lit by hanging bulbs. It was beautiful, and for some reason, it made me sweat as if I were in a sauna. It pulled the fever right out of me!


1 Comments:
I'm really enjoying the trip blog! It looks fantastic. I had no idea there was so much cool stuff in Guatemala. I hope you feel back to 100% soon, and I look forward to the report on rest of the trip.
By
Jin Aili, at 7:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home